Beat the Heat and the Expense
Summer heat is just around the corner. We've put together some energy saving tips from SCE&G that can help you lower your energy costs.
- Set your thermostat to 78° or higher in the summer. Each degree can significantly impact your cooling costs.
- Cool your house only as much as necessary based on occupants and time of day. It requires more energy to keep a house cool all the time.
- Replace your old thermostat with a programmable thermostat.
- Routinely service your HVAC unit. Regular maintenance can extend the life of the system while maintaining optimum efficiency.
- Check your filters monthly. Dirty filters increase energy usage and potentially damage your HVAC system.
- Move furniture away from your registers to allow proper circulation.
- Make sure your ceiling fans are blowing air downward to help you feel cooler. In the summer, dialing your thermostat up 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lower your costs by up to 14% over the course of the season.